Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Aussie Day 1


OMG I am here at last. Thank God Almighty I am free at last. Free from the confines of a seat in a 777 for the past 14 and a half hours. It is 7am and the morning light is shining in my eye until I reach the immigration counter. I gave them my passport ,my filled out declaration form, and told them about my electronic visa*(SEE NOTE 1) . I guess when I was filling out my visa online I forgot to add my middle initial which can be seen on my passport. I was detained for a few minutes while they fixed my visa and then I was allowed to proceed to baggage. With that minor delay, the baggage didn't take long to come out and we made it through Customs with a breeze. As we got outside, we had to determine if it was in our best interest to take a cab or the train. The train would have cost $15.20 AUD * (SEE NOTE 2) per person while the cab ride to our hotel in World Square was about $50. We opted for the cab since we didn't know exactly where we were going or the distance we would have had to walk.

RYDGES World Square Hotel


Pluses
- They let us check us check in early. Thank God
.
- We had a nice suite with a bathroom that had a separate bath tub and shower.
-
I also fell in love with the flat screen t.v.'s, and the eco-friendly toilets.
- It was close to the Museum St train station and the World Square monorail stop.

Minuses
- It was just simply annoying sometimes to remember to leave a key in the
keyholder that also controlled the electricity in the room.

We settled in for a little bit until Jeff's friend Levi called for us and out we went. The plan was to meet at the Museum of New South Wales, walk through the Botanical Gardens and end up by the Opera House and Circular Quay.

Royal Botanical Gardens

I was enjoying the 'free' beautiful gardens until I saw something fly above my head. The natives call them Flying Foxes.... Bajans call them Fruit Bats... April calls them People-Eating-Vampire bats. I have no clue who is right . All I knew was that I was ready to run. But I was the only girl amongst five guys (Levi also brought his Australian buddy Luke to help with the tour )and the BOYS were too busy taking pictures. Sigh. But the rest of the landscapes in the garden were very pleasant to look at. While passing the garden cafe I came across this strange bird that till this day I do not know what it is called.

Opera House
Okay now you know April is crazy when she recalls out loud ," That is where Blair from The Facts of Life left her shoe when the Jewelry Robbers were after her." Yeah I know I am special. That episode aired in 1987 and that was when I first wanted to go to OZ. Now as I approached the Opera steps I started to cry . I just could not believe I was finally here. We didn't take a tour only because we had purchased ticket to see singer Lillias White perform there that night. ( It was a really great show for a good price, however I was lil' tired and was sleeping through most parts . But I at least was awake to hear her ask the audience if anyone was from Brooklyn.) The Opera house was a magnificent architectural piece that to the common eye you thought you were looking at sea shells or sails on a boat.

We ended the day with a tasty Thai dinner and an excellent show at the Opera House. Who could really ask for more? G'day Mate!



NOTE 1 {Now I meant to mention about the Visa details before on my preparations for Australia, but I will take the time now to do so. Well after you purchase your airline tickets you must apply for a visa for both Australia and New Zealand. If you are a U.S. citizen you can apply for it electronically on the following website http://www.eta.immi.gov.au/ and it costs $20 AUD. As a US resident you have to send you passport in to the respective embassy and pay a higher price. You do get your passport back before time of travel , and for those of you that like your passport to have proof of your travel the Australian and New Zealand visa patches will provide that.}


NOTE 2 {The conversion is $1 USD = $1.21 AUD. Most currencies mentioned will be in AUD unless otherwise noted.}

3 comments:

Bajscooter said...

Wow, made me wish I was there. As much as I enjoyed viewing the pictures, reading the blog is more enlightening. Can't wait for future installments.

JFRANCKLIN said...

LOL at people eating vampire bats

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed viewing the pictures, reading the blog is more enlightening. Can't wait for future installments.
Movers Packers